Valrhona Apple-Hazelnut Flourless Chocolate Cake
This elegant and sumptuous cake keeps overnight, but if eaten while still slightly warm from the oven, it will be a true festival of chocolate, browned apple, and roasted hazelnut flavors. This recipe makes an 8-inch diameter cake, so use an appropriately-sized springform pan.
Serves 6 to 8 chocolate lovers.
- 3 apples (Granny Smith or other tart variety), peeled and chopped coarsely
- 100 g (2/3 cup) hazelnuts (with the skin), chopped
- 250 g (9 oz) Cara´be couverture, (dark chocolate) 66% cocoa, chopped
- 150 g (2/3 cup) whipping cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon, slightly rounded, cornstarch
- 3 egg whites
- 50 g (3 tablespoons) honey
- Softened butter for the cake pan
- Powdered sugar
- Powdered cinnamon
Preheat the oven to 375F.
Prepare the apples and hazelnuts and set aside. Bring the whipping cream to a boil and pour it over the chopped chocolate. Whisk in the egg yolks and the cornstarch, being careful to avoid lumps.
Add honey to the egg whites and whip to soft peaks. Incorporate a bit of the whipped whites into the still lukewarm cream mixture, using a whisk at first, then incorporate the remaining whites gently with a spatula.
Butter a springform cake pan. Pour in the batter, then sprinkle the chopped apples and hazelnuts over the top. Dust with powdered sugar and powdered cinnamon before baking. After 25 to 30 minutes, a knife inserted in the middle of the cake should come out clean.
Cool on a rack and unmold only after it has cooled to lukewarm. Enjoy it right away, or leave it overnight. Do not refrigerate.