Nathan Fong's Turkey Lettuce Wrap
This is a great way to use up some leftover turkey. Fast, easy and tasty!
- 1 head of lettuce
- 1 pound leftover turkey, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 bunch green onions, trimmed and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- ½ pound shiitake mushrooms, or button mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- ½ pound bean sprouts, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp. soya sauce
- 1 tsp. chili garlic or hot sauce (optional)
- 2 tbsp. vegetable or peanut oil
Carefully separate the head of lettuce into large leaves. Soak in ice water to crisp them, then drain and carefully pat dry just before serving.
Heat the oil in a wok or large non-stick frypan. Sauté the garlic, onions, and celery over medium-high heat until fragrant, but still crunchy. Add in the mushrooms, stir for a minute, then add in the turkey, sauté until warmed, then add the soya sauce, chili garlic or hot sauce and hoisin sauce. Stir to coat the vegetables and the turkey. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl.
Put the bowl where everyone can reach, along with a plate holding the lettuce leaves and another bowl with the bean sprouts.
Take a lettuce leaf, spoon some of the turkey mixture on top, add some bean sprouts, then wrap the lettuce leaf around the mix and eat. Atkins-friendly!